Thursday, August 5, 2010

My Thoughts (Collected Over Time)

Please don’t try to “fix” my special needs child or my parenting skills.  Please know that the way my child “acts” when you come to visit is probably not the way he acts normally.  It disrupts his routine and his body doesn’t know how to process this.

My house used to be ready for company all the time, with the latest Martha Stewart creations on display.  I prided myself on my amateur interior decorating skills.  Now my style is, what I consider, “Organized Chaos.”  “Please excuse the noise and mess, my kids are making happy memories ~Unknown”

I may not make it anywhere on time anymore.  It sometimes takes my child 2 hours to get dressed and eat breakfast if he is having an “off” day.  He is teaching me humility, patience, and the fact that the world will not end if I can’t make it somewhere or I have to say “no” to other people. 

My child may not be able to say his name or his age, but he can speak to you in sign language, build an enormously high tower out of blocks, and will observe animals for what seems like an eternity. 

Spit!  What is up with all of the spit!?!?!  And why does he have to spit on everything?  Here a spit, there a spit, everywhere a spit spit.  Eeeww!  It is so gross.

My son figured out how to escape from his crib tent today, and did it twice during naptime.  Not such a bad thing for a 33-month old you say?  My child does not have the reasoning skills of a child his age, and sees nothing wrong with climbing on the furniture, taking his diapers off to smear poop all over, or even eating socks.  And if he opens the door and gets out to the stairs, he will probably fall down most, if not all of them. 

Sometimes I wonder why God thought that I could handle this.  I still don’t know all of the reasons, but I trust in Him.  I know that there is a reason for everything.  And when my son is happy, I am happy and at peace.

It is an interesting thing to watch my son and his baby brother getting closer and closer in the abilities that they master.  I know that, one day (and maybe soon), baby brother may pass him up in skills, but maybe this will be a good challenge for my son. 

My child likes to have other children around.  He may not interact with them as another child his same age might, but he enjoys that they are here. 

Wow, my child is loud…very, very loud.

My child has a very hard time with transitions.  Please don’t look at me like “that” when my child throws a tantrum.  I’m sure that your child is not perfect all of the time.  I won’t judge you if you don’t judge me. 

It’s okay if all the colors of Play-Doh get mixed together.  I just hope he doesn’t want them separated tomorrow.   




















No comments:

Post a Comment